Escape the Sun for a Phenomenal Tan
Summer might be over for yet another year but that doesn’t mean you can’t have glowing skin year-round. With so many different brands on the market, how do you choose the one for you? Well, it comes down to trial and error, asking your mates for recommendations and choosing the correct shade because shortcuts in tanning do not translate well!
I recently got my hands-on products from Sunescape, an Australian tanning brand which originated from Bondi Beach in Sydney. What drew me to the products was the blend of natural ingredients to soothe, moisturise and repair the skin, while giving it a beautiful glow.
The range consists of:
• Instant Self-Tan Mousse (Month in Maui): This lightweight mousse gives skin an instant glow in minutes and develops into a deep tan within 3-4 hours. It features a delicious coconut scent, it’s enriched macadamia nut, avocado and coconut oils to keep skin hydrated, added antioxidants from green tea, Kakadu plum, grape seed extract and vitamin E help nourish, plump and protect the skin. The product also claims to even skin tone, stretch marks and cellulite and fades evenly over time without patchiness. RRP
• Hydrating Body Butter: This rich, indulgent body butter is infused with Cocoa and Shea Butter and exotic nut oils, that lock in moisture, revive and hydrate dry skin and extend the life of your tan.
• Exfoliating Body Polish: Prepare the skin for a smooth and even tan with this body polish. This exfoliator sloughs away dead layers of skin and helps improve the cell turnover process with natural ingredients like AHAs, Pineapple Enzymes, Lychee Seed and skin-buffing Eco Beads.
• Luxe Self Tan Application Mitt: a must for anyone tanning at home to ensure an even and streak-free application.
• Illuminating Body Tint: This product provides an instant luminous wash-off colour which slides on the skin and dries quickly. It also features a lovely shimmer and is DHA Free.
• Tan Removal Mitt: Mistakes happen but never fear, they can be removed quickly and evenly with this tan removal mitt.
• Gradual Tan Extender: this product features a 3-in-1 formula and acts as a self-gradual tan, tan extender and moisturiser. I like this product because it's perfect for fair-skinned people wanting to build a tan slowly.
• Hydrating Shower Gel: Free from sulphates and parabens, pH-balanced and jam-packed with a powerful blend of kiwi fruit oil, avocado oil and passionflower extract, this gentle, cleansing body wash has been specially formulated to extend the life of your and leave you with skin that’s hydrated, refreshed and radiant!
Here’s what I thought of the self-tan mousse:
I tried the Month in Maui shade which initially I thought maybe a little too dark for my skin as it applies quite dark from the onset. I used the Luxe Self Tan Application Mitt as generally you get the best results. I found the product applied smoothly and absorbed quickly. I did notice I could see the streaks on my skin during the application process which was good because it allowed me to buff the streaks out ensuring an even application. It’s recommended you leave the product on the skin for approximately 10 minutes to dry. While I did follow this step, I did find my skin felt a little sticky; however, when I touch tested it was fine. This product has a beautiful coconut scent and the ‘fake tan smell’ is virtually undetectable which I loved. It’s recommended you leave the product on the skin for about five hours to completely develop.
As I'd never used this product before and was a little concerned about how dark it looked already, I left it on for 4 hours and then washed it off. The results were impressive. The colour was an intense tan; however, didn’t appear unnatural or ‘orange’ which was my concern. I’m actually pleasantly surprised by this product and how even the application was and how natural the colour is even on fair skin like mine. This was probably one of the best fake tan applications I’ve even achieved without the need to exfoliate or use a tan remover.
Would I be using this product again? Most definitely! Who needs sun exposure when there’s a product like this allowing you to achieve a phenomenal and realistic looking tan in just 4 hours.